I think patriotic crafts are some of my favorite to make. So, this week, I decided to make a patriotic wood sign. I’ve seen quite a few signs using a two tone paint for the base color, so I thought I’d try making one in patriotic colors.
This post contains affiliate links
Here is what I used:
– Paint (Red, White, and Blue)
– Paintbrushes (I used 3 foam brushes)
– Wood for Sign (Mine was about 7″ x 17″)
– Vinyl (any color will work)
– Transfer Tape
– Electronic cutter (cricut explore, silhouette or other cutter)
– Weeding tool
– Cut File (see below)
– Optional Wood, Stain, and Brad Nailer (for frame)
1. This is the first time I’ve painted a sign like this, so I kind-of just made up my own method, but it seemed to work! I started by painting a strip of red and blue. I used a separate brush for each color. I kept spreading the paint until the two colors almost touched.
2. Then, with the 3rd paint brush, I started painting back and forth over the two colors until they stared blending. Once I was happy with the results on that section, I added a red strip below the blue and repeated the process. I did this until the entire board was painted. After it dried, I thought the red needed one more coat. So, I followed the same steps and did a second coat.3. While it was drying, I used my electronic cutter to cut out the vinyl stencil and applied my clear transfer tape.
4. Once the second coat was dry, I gave it a light sanding. Then, I applied the vinyl lettering to the wood. I rubbed over it several times to help reduce bleeding.5. I painted two coats of white paint.
6. I let it dry for just a few minutes and then carefully peeled up the letters. Look at those crisp, clean lines! After I had removed all the vinyl, I lightly sanded it one last time.
7. I also decided to add a frame. I used wood furring strips that I cute down to size and stained. Then, I used my brad nailer to attach the frame to the sign.
8. Add a bracket for hanging (Optional)
I love it with the stained wood frame. I think it turned out pretty good (I might be a little biased)!
Have you ever painted a sign like this? Do you have a special technique? I’d love to hear.
Want to make your own? Download the free cut file below.
In case you’re new here…
I love making digital cutter files and each week I love to share them with you! This free download will be available through 6/30/17 and is for personal use only. You can purchase the file with a Commercial License from my shop. Here is this week’s freebie. Enjoy!
Sorry, this download is no longer available for free. It is now available for purchase in my shop.