I think patriotic crafts are some of my favorite to make. So, this week, I decided to make a patriotic wood sign. I’ve seen quite a few signs using a two tone paint for the base color, so I thought I’d try making one in patriotic colors.
This post contains affiliate links
Here is what I used:
– Paint (Red, White, and Blue)
– Paintbrushes (I used 3 foam brushes)
– Wood for Sign (Mine was about 7″ x 17″)
– Vinyl (any color will work)
– Transfer Tape
– Electronic cutter (cricut explore, silhouette or other cutter)
– Weeding tool
– Cut File (see below)
– Optional Wood, Stain, and Brad Nailer (for frame)
1. This is the first time I’ve painted a sign like this, so I kind-of just made up my own method, but it seemed to work! I started by painting a strip of red and blue. I used a separate brush for each color. I kept spreading the paint until the two colors almost touched.
2. Then, with the 3rd paint brush, I started painting back and forth over the two colors until they stared blending. Once I was happy with the results on that section, I added a red strip below the blue and repeated the process. I did this until the entire board was painted. After it dried, I thought the red needed one more coat. So, I followed the same steps and did a second coat.3. While it was drying, I used my electronic cutter to cut out the vinyl stencil and applied my clear transfer tape.
4. Once the second coat was dry, I gave it a light sanding. Then, I applied the vinyl lettering to the wood. I rubbed over it several times to help reduce bleeding.5. I painted two coats of white paint.
6. I let it dry for just a few minutes and then carefully peeled up the letters. Look at those crisp, clean lines! After I had removed all the vinyl, I lightly sanded it one last time.
7. I also decided to add a frame. I used wood furring strips that I cute down to size and stained. Then, I used my brad nailer to attach the frame to the sign.
8. Add a bracket for hanging (Optional)
I love it with the stained wood frame. I think it turned out pretty good (I might be a little biased)!
Have you ever painted a sign like this? Do you have a special technique? I’d love to hear.
Want to make your own? Download the free cut file below.
In case you’re new here…
I love making digital cutter files and each week I love to share them with you! This free download will be available through 6/30/17 and is for personal use only. You can purchase the file with a Commercial License from my shop. Here is this week’s freebie. Enjoy!
As always, if you have any problems with the files, please let me know. I’ve included .jpg, .png, .svg. .ai, .eps, .dxf, .gsd and .studio in the zip file. Just click to download.
NOTE: Some computers/browsers are displaying the .svg file with an extension of html or something similar.