I love all the many things you can customize with vinyl. It’s amazing how just a tiny bit of vinyl can transform something from plain and boring to super cute. I think adding vinyl to a mug for a custom gift is a great idea, but I struggle with putting it on straight…until now!
After some trial and error, I came up with a method that helps me apply it straight every time. It takes a few extra steps, but the results are totally worth it!
This post contains affiliate links
Here is what I used:
1. I started by printing out the design on regular paper. I usually print out a couple different sizes and pick the one that looks best. Once I decided where I wanted it to go, I taped it in place.
2. Then, I measured from the top of the design to the top of the mug. It was about 1.25″.
3. I imported the design into my vinyl cutting software. I added the x’s for registration marks and then placed a small horizontal line 1.25″ above the design.
4. I used my cutter to cut out the design in 2 colors of vinyl. The registration marks need to be cut on both colors, but the horizontal line can just be cut on one. I weeded the excess vinyl and applied clear transfer tape to the green vinyl.
5. I cut the backing off the green vinyl, just below the registration marks.
6. Next, I placed the green registration marks directly over the blue registration marks.
7. Once the X’s were line up, I removed the rest of the backing from the green vinyl and pressed it down over the blue vinyl.
8. I placed a piece of painters tape over the center of transfer tape.
9. I cut the backing off, just below the horizontal line.
10. I cleaned the mug with rubbing alcohol. Then, I lined up the horizontal line with the top of mug and used the painters tape to hold the design in place.
11. I folded the design over to the blue tape and cut off the backing. Then, I pressed that section of the vinyl onto the mug.
12. Then, I removed the rest of the transfer tape and pressed the rest of the design into place.
13. I removed the registrations marks and the mug was finished and the vinyl is perfectly straight.
Do you have any special tricks to help you apply vinyl straight on a mug? I’d love to hear.
Want to make your own? Download the free cut file below.
In case you’re new here…
I love making digital cutter files and each week I love to share them with you! This free download will be available through 6/23/17 and is for personal use only. You can purchase the file with a Commercial License from my shop. Here is this week’s freebie. Enjoy!
As always, if you have any problems with the files, please let me know. I’ve included .jpg, .png, .svg. .ai, .eps, .dxf, .gsd and .studio in the zip file. Just click to download.
NOTE: Some computers/browsers are displaying the .svg file with an extension of html or something similar.